There have been no reported cases of a Benlysta (belimumab) overdose, so it's difficult to know exactly what to expect. However, it's likely that any symptoms would be similar to the drug's usual side effects, such as infections, nausea, and diarrhea. Treating this type of overdose may involve careful monitoring and supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Benlysta® (belimumab) is a prescription lupus medication that is given intravenously (by IV). As with most medications, it is probably possible to receive too much Benlysta. The effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Benlysta dosage and whether it was used with any other medications or substances.
There are no reported cases of a Benlysta overdose. Because the medication is given by IV in a healthcare setting, an overdose is unlikely. However, each individual Benlysta dosage is based on body weight. Therefore, a miscalculation could result in too much medication being given.
Because there are no reports of an overdose with Benlysta, it is not entirely known what to expect if too much is given. It is reasonable to assume an overdose could increase the risk for the usual Benlysta side effects or cause more severe side effect symptoms. Such reactions could include but are not limited to:
- Infections, including dangerous infections.
Because so little is known about the effects of a Benlysta overdose, it is also unknown exactly how an overdose would be treated. If the overdose is discovered before the entire dose is given, the medication will be stopped. Treatment will also likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result.
Supportive care for an overdose of Benlysta will include careful monitoring. Other possible options include but are not limited to:
- Medications to treat severe nausea or diarrhea if it occurs
- Intravenous fluids
- Antibiotics or antiviral medications for infections.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe you may have overdosed on this medication.