If your healthcare provider recommends treatment with deferiprone, your dosage will be calculated based on your weight and how you respond to the drug. The usual starting amount is 25 mg per kg taken three times a day. Based on the iron levels in your blood, you may need a higher amount. However, the maximum dosage should not exceed 33 mg per kg three times daily.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of DeferiproneThe dose of deferiprone (Ferriprox®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your weight
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Deferiprone Dosing GuidelinesThe starting dose of deferiprone is 25 mg per kg (about 11.4 mg per lb) three times a day, rounded to the nearest half-tablet (the nearest 250 mg). Your healthcare provider may increase the amount as necessary, up to 33 mg per kg (15 mg per lb) three times a day. Your response to the medication will usually be measured based on the iron levels in your blood, which should decrease gradually.
If you respond very well to deferiprone (your iron levels drop quite a bit), your healthcare provider may recommend that you temporarily stop taking the medication.
General Information on Taking DeferiproneSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with deferiprone include the following:
- Deferiprone comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day.
- You may take this medication with or without food. If it seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or deferiprone dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.