Deferiprone Side Effects
Common Side EffectsDeferiprone has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were carefully documented.
In these studies, the most common deferiprone side effects included:
- Abnormal urine color -- in up to 14.6 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 12.6 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) pain or discomfort -- up to 10.4 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 9.8 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 9.8 percent
- Increased liver enzymes -- up to 7.5 percent
- Decreased levels of neutrophils (a certain type of white blood cell) -- up to 7.3 percent.
It is common for urine to turn dark reddish-brown due to deferiprone. This is just the iron you are seeing, and is not a cause for concern.
Other common side effects, occurring in 1 percent to 6.2 percent of people, included:
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Decreased appetite
- Back pain
- Pain in the extremities (hands or feet)
- Joint problems (unspecified)
- Severely low white blood cells (agranulocytosis).
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the deferiprone side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking deferiprone or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.