The specific dosage of Ilaris you receive will depend on factors such as your age, weight, and how you respond to the medicine. This drug comes as an injection that is given subcutaneously once every four or eight weeks. It is normally administered by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office or clinic.
An Introduction to Dosing With IlarisThe dose of Ilaris® (canakinumab) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated
- Your age
- Your weight
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Recommended Ilaris Dosage for CAPSThe usual dose of Ilaris for the treatment of cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS) in people who weigh more than 40 kg (88 pounds) is 150 mg every eight weeks. The usual dosage in people who weigh between 15 kg and 40 kg (33 to 88 pounds) is 2 mg per kg body weight (about 0.91 mg per pound) every eight weeks.
This amount may be increased to 3 mg per kg (about 1.36 mg per pound) in children weighing 15 kg to 40 kg who do not adequately respond to the lower dose.
Recommended Ilaris Dosage for SJIA
The usual dose of Ilaris for the treatment of systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (SJIA) in people who weigh more than 7.5 kg (16.5 pounds) is 4 mg per kg (about 1.8 mg per pound), no more than 300 mg, every four weeks.
General Information on Receiving IlarisSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Ilaris include the following:
- This medication is given as an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously) once every eight weeks for CAPS or every four weeks for SJIA.
- Your Ilaris injection is normally given by your healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office or clinic. It may also be given in your home by a visiting nurse.
- The vial should be inspected before use. This medication should not be used if the vial contains particles.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Try to keep all of your appointments to receive Ilaris.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Ilaris dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.