Botulism in Honey

It is possible, although rare, for honey to contain botulism toxins. Because of this potential, children less than 12 months old should not be fed honey; however, it is perfectly safe for people 1 year of age and older.

Honey and Botulism: An Overview

Botulism is a rare but serious illness that is caused by toxins (poisons) produced by specific bacteria (Clostridium botulinum). In severe cases, botulism can lead to paralysis or death.
 
There are several types of botulism (see Botulism Types). One type of botulism is called infant botulism. This is caused when an infant consumes the spores of the botulinum bacteria, which then grow in the baby's intestines and release toxins.
 
A number of cases of infant botulism have been associated with eating honey contaminated with botulism bacteria.
 

How Common Is Botulism in Honey?

California researchers have isolated botulism bacteria spores from about 10 percent of store-bought honey samples.
 

How Often Is Honey the Cause of Infant Botulism?

Less than 5 percent of patients with infant botulism contract the disease from honey.
 

Recommendations

Because honey can contain spores of Clostridium botulinum and this has been a source of botulism in infants, children younger than 12 months old should not be fed honey. Honey is perfectly safe for people 1 year of age and older.
 
(Click Infant Botulism to learn more about this condition.)
 
Baby Milestones You've Never Heard Of

Botulism Disease

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.