Diseases Home > Can Diaper Dermatitis Be Prevented?
Things You Can Do to Prevent Diaper Dermatitis
- Change your baby's diaper as soon as it becomes wet or dirty. The less your baby is exposed to skin irritants like urine and/or stool, the better.
- Clean well -- make sure that all the stool is removed from your baby's bottom.
- Allow your baby's skin to dry completely before putting on another diaper.
- Avoid baby wipes that are scented or contain alcohol and/or chlorine.
- Apply a preventative cream or ointment to create a barrier between your baby's bottom and moisture. There are several great products out there, most of which are lanolin- or petroleum jelly-based. They all work to lock out the bad moisture and protect sensitive skin.
- Avoid using plastic pants or diapers with plastic lining. These diapers limit any chance for airflow and trap moisture in.