Diseases Home > Leprosy Facts
Even today, there may still be a lot of myths surrounding leprosy, so it's important to be aware of a few facts:
- Most cases can be treated without too much difficulty and many of the fears generated by the folklore surrounding it can be counteracted.
- The disease has erroneously been associated with biblical leprosy, which scholars believe was actually a variety of skin diseases categorized under the term leprosy.
- Up to 20 percent of cases occur before the age of 10. In children, the disease occurs equally in males and females. In adults, it is twice as common in males as females.
- Scientists still do not completely understand how leprosy is spread.
- Today, most people with the condition are treated in the home and easily cured with antibiotics.
(Click Leprosy for more facts on this condition, including how long treatment lasts, how a diagnosis is made, and diseases that share similar symptoms.)