Diseases Home > Giardiasis Risk Factors and Prevention
Anyone can get giardiasis. People more likely to become infected include:
- Children who attend daycare centers, including diaper-aged children
- Parents of infected children
- International travelers
- Childcare workers
- People who swallow water from contaminated sources
- Backpackers, hikers, and campers who drink unfiltered, untreated water
- Swimmers who swallow water while swimming in lakes, rivers, ponds, and streams
- People who drink from shallow wells.
Contaminated water includes water that has not been boiled, filtered, or disinfected with chemicals. Several community-wide outbreaks of giardiasis have been linked to drinking municipal water or recreational water contaminated with Giardia.
There are several things a person can do to prevent giardiasis. Some of these include:
- Practicing good hygiene
- Avoiding water that might be contaminated
- Avoiding food that might be contaminated
- Avoiding fecal exposure during sexual activity.
For additional information about giardiasis, click any of the following links: