Before prescribing rilonacept, your healthcare provider will determine your dosage using factors such as your age and weight (in children). This prescription medication comes as an injection that is given just under the skin once a week. In most cases, you can give this injection to yourself or have a caregiver do it.
Interested in a Discount on Rilonacept?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
The dosage of rilonacept (Arcalyst®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on your age and weight (in children).
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual dose of rilonacept for the treatment of cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS) in adults is an initial one-time dose of 320 mg (4 mL), followed in one week by an ongoing weekly dose of 160 mg (2 mL). The initial 320-mg dosage should be given as two injections of 160 mg (2 mL), at two different sites on the body.
The usual dosage of rilonacept for the treatment of cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS) in children age 12 to 17 years old is 4.4 mg per kg of body weight (about 2 mg per lb). This is followed in one week by an ongoing weekly dose of 2.2 mg per kg (about 1 mg per lb).
The initial dosage in children should not exceed 320 mg, regardless of weight (this would only be an issue for larger children). The weekly dose should not exceed 160 mg. If the initial dosage is more than 160 mg, it should be given as two injections, on the same day, at two different injection sites.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with rilonacept include the following:
- This medication is injected just beneath the skin (subcutaneously) once a week.
- Rilonacept comes as a powder. It must be mixed with Sterile Water for Injection before use. Your pharmacy can supply you with Sterile Water for Injection (which is available by prescription only) when you receive your medicine.
- Your healthcare provider will show you or your caregiver how to properly use this medicine. Make sure you understand how to prepare and inject your dose before starting treatment.
- The injections can be given in the abdomen (stomach), upper arm, or thigh. You should rotate the site of your injection each week.
- Do not inject skin areas that are red, bruised, tender, or hard.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or rilonacept dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.