Using Local Therapies and Cyclophosphamide for Sarcoidosis

Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
This is a highly toxic medicine and is rarely used to treat sarcoidosis. It is given only to people who have serious forms of sarcoidosis, such as sarcoidosis in the central nervous system (neurosarcoidosis).
This medicine is more likely to cause nausea and reduce your white blood cell levels than either methotrexate or azathioprine. Your doctor should check your white blood cell levels often while you are taking this medicine to make sure that you have a high-enough level to fight infection.
Cyclophosphamide can also irritate your bladder. Some people who have taken it for more than two years have developed bladder cancer.
If you are pregnant, you should not take this medicine.
Cyclophosphamide can be given intravenously (through one of your veins), which lessens some of its side effects, but this doesn't reduce the risk of cancer.

Local Therapies Used in Treating Sarcoidosis

Some medicines used to treat sarcoidosis are taken by mouth. Others are applied locally to an affected area.
Local therapy is the safest way to treat sarcoidosis. The medicine is applied directly to the affected area. As a result, only small amounts of the medicine reach other parts of your body.
Medicines used for local therapy include:
  • Eye drops
  • Inhaled medicines for your lungs
  • Skin creams.
Medicine can be used locally only if the affected area is easily reached. For instance, inhaled steroids can ease coughing and wheezing in the upper airways, but they don't seem to relieve these symptoms when the affected lung tissue is deep within your chest.
Talk with your doctor about these sarcoidosis treatments and the side effects that may occur.

Sarcoidosis Disease

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.